For the full job posting and application, please visit the job posting here.
The Legal Counsel role provides robust legal analysis, advice and counsel/representation to support the insurance business within John Hancock, including for life, annuity and long-term care insurance.
- Provide legal advice to John Hancock
- Advise the company of known risks and assess and report to the appropriate Company officers as to whether those risks are appropriately identified, assessed, monitored and reported
- Engage outside counsel (when vital and appropriate) after acquiring the necessary approvals, and manage the process of selecting, hiring, monitoring, paying and providing mentorship and direction to such outside counsel.
- Provide assistance for sophisticated legal, regulatory and compliance matters for insurance operations
- Responsible for research and drafting legal advice memos and communications
- Lead all aspects of legislative, regulatory and industry developments, and providing updates to BUs with respect to same
- Participate in industry conferences, presentations, committees and working groups
- May lead legal research projects/initiatives
- Provide any other legal advice that management may require
What we are looking for
- Member in good standing with the Bar
- Licensed to practice law in respective jurisdiction
- Minimum 4-6 years of prior shown experience strongly preferred, with a major law firm and/or corporation
- Experience with and knowledge of the legislative frameworks
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong influencing and negotiating skills
- Strong organization and detail oriented approach
- Thoughtful and operates with discretion
- Ability to quickly identify legal problems/risk
What motivates you?
- Obsess about customers, listen, engage and act for their benefit.
- Think big, with curiosity to discover ways to use agile approaches and enable business outcomes.
- Thrive in teams and enjoy getting things done together.
- Take ownership and build solutions, focusing on what matters.
- Do what is right, work with integrity and speak up.
- Share your humanity, helping us build a diverse and inclusive work environment for everyone.
What can we offer:
- A competitive salary and benefits packages.
- A growth trajectory that extends upward and outward, encouraging pursuit of passions and learning new skills!
- A focus on growing career pathways.
- Flexible work policies and strong work-life balance.
- Professional development and leadership opportunities.
- Values-first culture
We lead with our Values every day and bring them to life together.
- Boundless opportunity!
We build opportunities to learn and grow at every career stage.
- Continuous innovation
We invite you to help redefine the future of financial services.
- Delivering the promise of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We foster an inclusive work environment where everyone thrives.
- Championing Corporate Citizenship
We build a business that benefits all collaborators and has a positive social and environmental impact.
About Manulife and John Hancock
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we operate as Manulife across our offices in Asia, Canada, and Europe, and primarily as John Hancock in the United States. We provide financial advice, insurance, and wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2022, we had more than 40,000 employees, over 116,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving over 34 million customers. At the end of 2022, we had $1.3 trillion (US$1.0 trillion) in assets under management and administration, including total invested assets of $0.4 trillion (US $0.3 trillion), and segregated funds net assets of $0.3 trillion (US$0.3 trillion). We trade as ‘MFC’ on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges, and under ‘945’ in Hong Kong.
Manulife is an Equal Opportunity Employer
At Manulife/John Hancock, we embrace our diversity. We strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention, advancement and compensation, and we administer all of our practices and programs without discrimination on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, religion or religious beliefs, creed, sex (including pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions), sexual orientation, genetic characteristics, veteran status, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status, disability, or any other ground protected by applicable law.
It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will work with applicants who request a reasonable accommodation during the application process. All information shared during the accommodation request process will be stored and used in a manner that is consistent with applicable laws and Manulife/John Hancock policies. To request a reasonable accommodation in the application process, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.