For the full job posting and application, please visit the job posting here.
Reporting to the VP & Chief Counsel, Corporate Law, this role of Senior Counsel, Global Corporate Legal Affairs will support a broad range of legal matters related to Manulife’s financial, timely ,and ESG-related public disclosure, as well as support Manulife’s proprietary investment, acquisition and divestiture activity.
Responsibilities for this role include:
- Legal support for financial, timely, and ESG-related public disclosure matters, including providing advice regarding Manulife’s disclosure obligations, reviewing disclosure material, and drafting disclosure material
- Supervising emerging legal and regulatory developments in securities laws, proactively assessing their impact and recommending changes to disclosure and to disclosure policies, practices and controls
- Supervising the filing of financial disclosure documents with various securities regulators and stock exchanges
- Legal research and memorandum drafting
- Structure and negotiate private fixed income investment acquisitions (e.g., private placements, project finance, and P3 transactions) for Manulife’s global on-balance sheet portfolios; support the management of these assets through their life cycle
- Acting as a liaison with other Manulife groups (Finance, Sustainability, Risk) on disclosure matters
What will be encouraged from Me?
- Law degree and admission to the Bar required.
- 4-7 years of proven track record in securities and/or corporate transactions, ideally gained in a large or mid-sized law firm and/or large public company.
- Understanding of the Canadian and U.S. public company regulatory environments and familiarity with Canadian securities laws and regulations, and applicable rules of the Toronto Stock Exchange and the New York Stock Exchange would be an asset.
- Experienced with public disclosure work
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; strong drafting skills
- Very well organized, with strong attention to detail
- Ability to identify legal problems
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate and establish relationships
- Proven track record of working under pressure, in collaboration with others.
- Thoughtful and ability to operate with discretion
What we offer you
- A competitive salary and benefits packages!
- A growth trajectory that extends upward and outward, encouraging you to follow your passions and learn new skills.
- A focus on growing your career path with us.
- Flexible work policies and strong work-life balance.
- Professional development and leadership opportunities.
Our commitment to you
- Values-first culture
- We lead with our Values every day and bring them to life together.
- Boundless opportunity
- We build opportunities to learn and grow at every stage of your career!
- Continuous innovation
- We invite you to help redefine the future of financial services.
- Delivering the promise of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- We foster an inclusive environment where everyone thrives.
- Championing Corporate Citizenship
- We build a business that benefits all partners and has a positive social and environmental impact.
About Manulife and John Hancock
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we operate as Manulife across our offices in Asia, Canada, and Europe, and primarily as John Hancock in the United States. We provide financial advice, insurance, and wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2022, we had more than 40,000 employees, over 116,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving over 34 million customers. At the end of 2022, we had $1.3 trillion (US$1.0 trillion) in assets under management and administration, including total invested assets of $0.4 trillion (US $0.3 trillion), and segregated funds net assets of $0.3 trillion (US$0.3 trillion). We trade as ‘MFC’ on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges, and under ‘945’ in Hong Kong.
Manulife is an Equal Opportunity Employer
At Manulife/John Hancock, we embrace our diversity. We strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention, advancement and compensation, and we administer all of our practices and programs without discrimination on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, religion or religious beliefs, creed, sex (including pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions), sexual orientation, genetic characteristics, veteran status, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status, disability, or any other ground protected by applicable law.
It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will work with applicants who request a reasonable accommodation during the application process. All information shared during the accommodation request process will be stored and used in a manner that is consistent with applicable laws and Manulife/John Hancock policies. To request a reasonable accommodation in the application process, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.