2019 Award Applications are now open for President's Award, all Student Awards and the new Chappell Partners/June Bushell award. This year's Award Dinner will take place on June 12, 2019.
President's AwardThe WLAO President's Award recognizes a woman who has made a substantial contribution to the legal community as an academic, adjudicator, litigator, solicitor, author, or related profession. The recipient must demonstrate a commitment to the promotion of women in the law and be recognized as a leader. Encompassing the ideals of the Women's Law Association, the recipient of the President's Award will be engaged, aware and connected to issues, substantive and personal, facing women in the legal profession today. The Award may also be presented to a firm or organization exemplifying the ideals for which it is given. The President's Award is presented at an annual dinner in Toronto in June. Download Nomination Form (deadline March 30, 2019)
New!! Chappell Partners LLP/June Bushell AwardSubmission deadline: May 27th, 2019 This award acknowledges a lawyer who, like June Bushell, experienced and overcame adversity in pursuing a career in law and, despite that adversity, is making a positive contribution through her legal practice. The award is open to female lawyers with 5 or more years of practice. The recipient will determine to which registered charity a donation of $1000 will be made in her name. The Applicant’s letter to the reviewing panel should set out her circumstances and be accompanied by two letters of support/reference attesting to the challenges facing, or faced by, the Applicant and her contributions her clients, community or the practice of law. These documents should be sent to the WLAO by email to email@example.com no later than May 27, 2019 with the Applicant’s contact information. The award will be presented in Toronto at the WLAO Awards night on June 12, 2019. The recipient will be invited to a luncheon with the partners of Chappell Partners LLP on a date mutually agreed upon.
General Counsel Chapter AwardNomination deadline: March 30, 2019 The WLAO General Counsel Chapter Award, established in 2015, recognizes a member of the General Counsel Chapter for her leadership role and commitment to the success of women in law. Awarded internally. The first presentation of this award was to Norie Campbell of the TD Bank Group in June 2015. The 2016 recipient of the award was Dorothy Quann of Xerox Canada. The recipient of the 2017 award was Doris Stamml, Chief General Counsel at Ernst & Young. And the 2018 award was presented to Judy Naiberg, the VP, Legal & Business Affairs at Sony Music Entertainment Canada Inc.
The Honourable Sandra Chapnik Women-in-Law AwardSubmissions deadline: April 30th of the current year The Honourable Sandra Chapnik Women-in-Law Award recognizes female law students who exemplify the drive and determination to achieve a law degree after having spent time in the workforce.
- Currently enrolled in an Ontario law school (include transcripts and a CV);
- A defined need for financial assistance (to be determined at law school with supporting documentation); and
- An essay of no less than 200 words explaining the above, her past experiences and her future goals.
Avril A. Farlam Advocacy AwardSubmissions deadline: April 30th of the current year The Avril A. Farlam Advocacy Award is designed to recognize outstanding participation in the legal clinic program of any one of the Ontario law schools to be determined by:
- Academic achievement (ie. marks);
- A copy of applicants CV (curriculum vitae), and;
- Essay of no more than 200 words describing how the applicant believes the legal clinic experience will make her a better lawyer
Aird & Berlis Equality AwardSubmissions deadline: April 30th of the current year The Women's Law Association of Ontario and Aird & Berlis LLP Equality Award is designed to recognize a woman law student who has dedicated her time and talents to advancing equality rights. The recipient will receive a monetary award of $1000.00. The recipient of the award will demonstrate the following characteristics (for details see application form):
- female registered, in good standing, at an Ontario faculty of law and studying for an LL.B, J.D. or LL.M.; and
- a record of dedication to advancing equality rights (such as, but not limited to religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, mental health, refugee, aboriginal, minority and HIV/AIDS victim's rights).
Torkin Manes LLP Trailblazer AwardSubmissions deadline: April 30th of the current year Torkin Manes LLP and WLAO have established the Trailblazer Award to recognize a female law student for her leadership role in business and the law (this could be corporate/commercial, not-for-profit, or entrepreneurial). This award is given to a student that best exemplifies the qualities of effective business leadership, innovatively applied know-how, and potential for growth. The award (with a monetary award of $1,000) will be presented at a gala dinner in June 2018. The recipient of this award will demonstrate the following qualifications and characteristics:
- female student registered in 2nd or 3rd year and in good standing at an Ontario faculty of law, and studying for a J.D. or LL.M. (the successful candidate will likely be enrolled in a joint J.D./LL.M. and MBA degree program);
- an acknowledged leader, actively demonstrating the promotion of women in business;
- exceptional legal expertise and proven business acumen; and
- demonstrates an entrepreneurial and business focused spirit, with a strong sense of how to put a project or idea into action.